What can you do to prevent or
control high blood pressure?
1. Quit smoking and/or
Ask your provider for help
2. Achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
If you are overweight, ask your provider
for help with a plan to lose weight.
3. Be physically active.
- "Physical activity” includes any activity
that raises your heart rate, such as brisk
walking, working in the house or yard,
or playing sports.
- Do activity for 10 minutes or more at
a time. Aim for at least 2 hours and
30 minutes of activity each week.
4. Reduce salt (sodium) in your diet.
- Read food labels. Choose and prepare
foods that are low in sodium or are
- Ask to see a registered dietitian if you
need help with a plan.
5. Limit alcohol.
- Men should have no more than
2 drinks per day.
- Women should have no more than
1 drink per day.